Saturday, August 7, 2010

Burnside, Kentucky

Many people may not know that General Burnside State Park, just south of Somerset, KY off U.S. 27, used to be a bustling small town, with a post office, retail stores, restaurants, churches, banks, hotels and a vibrant shipping business via the rivers nearby. Some think Burnside was also the location of the first established instance of the Boy Scouts of America and a plaque outside of town pays tribute to this.


Settled at the intersection of the Cumberland and South Fork Rivers, it was originally named Point Isabele for a woman who allegedly jumped off a nearby cliff due to a relationship gone sour. In 1890 the town was renamed Burnside after the Civil War General, Ambrose Burnside (sideburns where named after him).

In the early 1950s the Nashville, Tennessee District of the Corps of Engineers, in an effort to create the largest lake in Kentucky, impounded the Cumberland River and built Wolf Creek Dam. The result was the popular recreation spot Lake Cumberland.  As an unfortunate side effect, the low areas of Burnside were flooded and the town was relocated to higher ground.

The rest of this story is a bit of oral history as told by my mom and grandmother who lived in Somerset in the 1940s. They told me about going to the town of Burnside for day trips to do shopping and eat out at one of the many nice restaurants. Or about how after the town had been flooded an adventure diver (can find no record of this) had gone down in the water and came back up stating he would never go down again. He told of entire buildings and houses in tack, power lines, utility poles, trees, cars and children's playground equipment left as it was before the dam waters filled the town. He said he saw man sized cat fish over 6 feet long. It all sounds a bit fanciful but makes for a great story and I do not doubt it was true, yet I have not been able to find any account of this diver and his tale. If anyone has record of this please let me know.

Here is an image of an old train bridge leading into the cliff side. When the water is low you can still see the top of the tunnel.














MJL

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this. I thoroughly enjoyed your articles,I look forward to reading more in the future!

    God bless,
    Teresa Earlywine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw your photo I too have relatives that lived in Olde Burnside before it was flooded my mother who was born in 1926 lived there a few years and I have also been told of the large catfish and it divers refused to go down there and work on the bridges because of the size of that and of the buildings underwater when it was first planted I do know for a fact that there is a few spots where the waters over 300 feet deep probably caused by the water pressure caving in the ground surrounding an old cave I can't prove that it's just a theory but thank you for the picture I enjoyed it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Steve! Wow, sorry for the really late reply. I sort of abandoned this blog a while back but have rekindled my interest again. I am happy I have found someone to further back up the stories my mother and grandmother told me of Burnside. I find it both fascinating and a bit terrifying. If you have any leads on this other than what I know, send them my way please.

      Thanks for reading!
      Mike Laugherty

      Delete
  3. Hi there, just wanted to let you know that prior to Lake Cumberland claiming Old Burnside, EVERYTHING (save the highway and a few foundations) was cleared before away before the waters rose.
    -Kris https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10203961146288816&set=a.10203407658451966.1073741825.1227263421&type=3&theater&ifg=1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that is really interesting. Like I said, this was told to me via some family members who recalled the story from who knows? But photos don't lie. Thanks for sharing this.

      Delete
  4. This is interesting, love researching local history.

    ReplyDelete